In the midst of all the uncertainty and chaos gripping the world, I’ve decided to inject some grace as well. Grace to myself for not doing all the things that I’m “supposed” to be doing. Grace for not knowing what I’m supposed to be doing. And grace to just be still. As I settle into my stillness, reading has become my thing more and more. A good book allows me to hold space to breathe again and re-center my peace and clarity. So what are some good books to get us all through this new normal and onto the other side of the chaos? Well, here are a few that I love and a few that I can’t wait to read. I hope you’ll add them to your list and love them too!
1. WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE BY OPRAH WINFREY
Organized by theme—joy, resilience, connection, gratitude, possibility, awe, clarity, and power—these essays offer a rare and powerful glimpse into the mind one of the world’s most extraordinary women. Candid, moving, exhilarating, uplifting, and dynamic, the words Oprah shares in What I Know for Sure shimmer with the sort of wisdom and truth that listeners will turn to again and again.
2. YEAR OF YES: HOW TO DANCE IT OUT, STAND IN THE SUN AND BE YOUR OWN PERSON BY SHONDA RHIMES
In Year of Yes, Shonda Rhimes chronicles the powerful impact saying yes had on every aspect of her life—and how we can all change our lives with one little word. Yes.
3. THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF SUCCESS: LAWS OF LEADERSHIP FOR BLACK WOMEN BY ELAINE MERYL BROWN, MARSHA HAYGOOD, RHONDA JOY MCLEAN
Each chapter in the WORKBOOK correlates to a chapter in THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF SUCCESS and contains a number of questions and quizzes to help you tailor each lesson to your individual needs.
4. DOUBLE DOWN: BET ON YOURSELF AND SUCCESS ON YOUR TERMS BY ANTOINETTE M. CLARKE AND TRICIA CLARKE-STONE
If you’re tired of getting second-class rewards for first-class work and you’re ready to be respected for who you are, Double Down will give you the tools and tactics to go all-in on your dreams.
5. THE PATH MADE CLEAR: DISCOVERING YOUR LIFE’S DIRECTION AND PURPOSE BY OPRAH WINFREY
Oprah shares what she sees as a guide for activating your deepest vision of yourself, offering the framework for creating not just a life of success, but one of significance.
6. MORE THAN PRETTY: DOING THE SOUL WORK THAT UNCOVERS YOUR TRUE BEAUTY BY ERICA CAMPBELL
This book explores issues of self-esteem, identity, and God’s design for love and intimacy. She is candid about her own struggles, sharing honestly about her battle to feel “good enough” in an industry that fixates on outward appearances.
7. BELIEVE BIGGER BY MARSHAWN EVANS DANIELS
Believe Bigger is about resilience, reclaiming your life, and how God uses rejection, hardship, and unexpected circumstances to awaken something greater within…if you’re willing to embrace disruption. You’ll see her go from heartbroken and hitting rock bottom financially to building a multimillion-dollar faith-centered enterprise and finding something super sweet along the way.
8. MORE THAN ENOUGH: CLAIMING SPACE FOR WHO YOU ARE (NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY) BY ELAINE WELTEROTH
Welteroth moves beyond the headlines and highlight reels to share the profound lessons and struggles of being a barrier-breaker across so many intersections.
9. FUTUREPROOFED: HOW TO NAVIGATE DISRUPTIVE CHANGE, FIND CALM IN CHAOS, AND SUCCEED IN WORK & LIFE BY NATALIA PEART
Drawing from her own research and consulting practice and the latest in business, neuroscience, psychology, and design thinking, Dr. Natalia Peart presents a new paradigm and step-by-step pathway for thriving in fast-moving times.
10. OWN YOUR PHENOMENAL SELF BY RITA P. MITCHELL
No matter your background, experience, education, or credentials, you can have what you want out of life, and you can have it on your terms.